Monday, March 12, 2012

The Little Red Hen

We read the story of "The Little Red Hen," and made some cute construction paper pictures of a red hen to go with it.  I forgot to take pictures of the process and set-up (fail), but I do have a photo of some of the end products.  I was surprised to see how different each one looked in the end!

We started by cutting a curve along one side of a red rectangle (this was our hen's body).  Some of the younger kiddos had a hard time cutting a curve line without a guide, so we drew a line onto their rectangle to help them out!  We then glued that onto a piece of brown construction paper.  Next each child got a small orange square that they needed to cut into a triangle shape and glue it onto one side of red hen body.  Then we added on googly eye (the kids love these)!  We talked about how if you are looking at a profile view of a person or animal, you only see one eye (I demonstrate by turning my head to the side so they understand), otherwise they will all want to put on two eyes.  We finnished up by gluing on some strips of yellow paper to be the wheat (which some kids used to be legs I think..).  They were super fun to create and I especially love some of the creative "skinny" looking hens : )

No comments:

Post a Comment